LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- February is Heart Month, but even though the month is almost over that doesn't mean the need to be heart healthy stops.
Good nutrition is one of the basics of any effort to get healthy and today Alexis Simms with the Americn Heart Association will be here with a heart healthy recipe you can add to your family's monthly menu.
Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
About $2.61 per serving
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ medium bell pepper (any color), finely chopped
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced from jar (or 2 cloves, minced)
2 tablespoons fat free (skim) milk
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1.5 pounds extra lean (95% lean)or 99% fat free ground turkey (can substitute extra lean ground beef or pork)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 8-oz can tomato sauce, no salt added (for divided use)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place onions and bell pepper in a glass 9x5 loaf pan, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
3. Cover loaf pan with a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes (NOTE: if you are using a metal loaf pan do NOT put it in the microwave!). Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, combine vegetables, minced garlic, milk, oats, turkey meat, eggs, mustard, 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, pepper and parsley - mix well with hands.
5. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in loaf pan.
6. In the medium bowl, mix remainder of tomato sauce and cider vinegar, pour over loaf.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes until internal thermometer reads 165 for poultry and 160 for beef or pork. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and slice.
Fun variation: make mini-loaf by baking in muffin tins. These individual sized mini-loaves are great for freezing, fun for kids, or a great alterative if you're in a rush because they only cook for half the time!
2 - 15.5-ounce cans low-sodium black eyed peas
1. Heat (un-drained) in microwave-safe covered dish on high for 5 minutes, or until warm.
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 132 mg
Sodium 138 mg
Carbohydrates 31 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Added Sugars 0 g