LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- There aremore than53,000 students in the Little Rock, North Little Rock and Pulaski County School Districts. Approximately 20,000 of these students are economically disadvantaged children. Many are from single-parent families, and many of the children come to school each year lacking the basic school supplies needed for classroom work.
TheHeart of Arkansas United Way saw a need to try to address the needs of these children and to help prevent early school failure for at risk youth.
Since that time the program has expanded to other counties served by the Heart of Arkansas United Way. They collaborate with all three school districts on this project. School administrators will provide parents of children that are in most need with a referral slip to be completed by the parent, signed by the counselor and then brought to the food pantry where they receive their supplies.
Each year, THV 11 partners with the United Way to help provide school supplies for these children.
Some of the items needed the most include:
- Backpacks (clear or Mesh)
- Elmers Glue (large bottle)
- Glue Sticks
- Scissors (both sharp and children's Fiskar)
- Crayola Crayons (24 Count Boxes)
- Watercolors (PRANG)
- Pencils #2
- Cap Erasers
- Folders with pockets and brads (red, blue, yellow)
- Notebook Paper (Wide Ruled)
- Spiral Notebooks
- Box of Tissue
- Index Cards 3"X5"
- Ink Pens (Red, Black, and Blue)
- Ziplock Bags (Both Gallon and Quart Size)
- Composition Notebooks 9 1/2 X 7 1/2
- Highlighters (yellow)
- Hand Sanitizer (12 oz)
- Plastic School Box (Cigar Box Size)
- 3 Ring Binder (1")
If you have any questions,call:
Public Relations Director/Campaign Manager
Heart of Arkansas United Way
516 W. Pershing Blvd
North Little Rock, Ark. 72114
(501) 376-4567, ext. 21