LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Every month on 'THV 11 News This Morning'we like to highlight issues important to pet owners in our Joey's Community Mews segment.
This month, Sandy Moore fromLittle Rock Animal Village has tips for new puppy or kitty owners and whether or not you should give an animal as a Christmas gift.
1. Get a crate. Crates and routines make housetraining much easier. As a general rule of thumb, the number of hours a puppy can "hold it" are his age in months plus one. So a two month old puppy should be crated for a maximum of three hours at a time during the day. When they sleep at night, puppies can usually hold it for longer.
2. A baby gate is your friend. Use it to keep puppies out of places you don't want destroyed.
3. Puppies chew and bite, sometimes painfully. It is not aggression. Do not react aggressively.
4. Focus on socializing. Remember that puppies are babies and everything they experience in their first three months shapes their entire lives.
5. Practice separation. When you say "goodbye," make it no big deal.
Animals are available for adoption at the Little Rock Animal Village, located at 4500 S. Kramer, 2 long blocks south of Asher and University. They are open for adoptions Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to5 p.m.for all animals and from 5-8 p.m. on the first and third Thursday for adult cats.