LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- The Capital Hotelin Little Rock spreads Christmas cheer every holiday and this year is no exception!
THV 11'sAshley Blackstone got a behind the scenes look at the Gingerbread Village. The festive display opens to the public on Monday.
Click the video to see the holiday magic!
• Gingerbread Village planning started in August and baking started in September.
• Executive Pastry Chef Tandra Watkinsmade gingerbread men when she was young, sparking her interest in the tradition.
• Tandra began at Capital Hotel 5 years ago and for 3 years created one gingerbread house in the shape of the Capital Hotel.
• 100 handmade pine trees, and 3 giant Christmas trees with lights fill the village.
• Over 50 pounds of icing sugar to make the royal icing that covers the whole display and some of the pieces on the display, 10 pounds of sugar fondant that covers some of the houses, and 20 pounds of gingerbread dough to create the structures.
• 9 gingerbread structures that are all built to scale with the train.
• 20 feet of track has been laid down on the table for the train, The Polar Express.
• 2 ponds made of poured sugar.
• A towering 24-foot Christmas Tree stands firmly straight in the center of the spacious and elegant lobby of the historic Capital Hotel with layers of 25 thousand twinkling lights and all the treasured trimmings of a Southern Christmas.
• Patrons can peruse Gourmet Food for purchase like Capital Eggnog and Spiced Pecans, hand-made lovingly by the culinary team at the Capital Hotel.
• Ginger Bread House Decorating Classes taught by pastry maven Tandra are a traditional favorite. One class be exclusive to eager-to-build parents in the community, with cocktails and small bites.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
-Tree Lighting in the Lobby with Flute Ensemble and Unveiling of the Gingerbread Village: Monday, Dec. 3, 5:00-8:00pm
-Teddy Bear Tea [$20 children/ $30 adults]: Saturday Dec. 8, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
-Gingerbread Workshops with pastry chef, Tandra Watkins [$59 pp*]: Saturday, Dec. 8, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 9, 2:00-4:00 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 15, 4:00-7:00 p.m. (Dec. 15 is exclusive to adults including cocktails and bites;) Sunday, Dec. 16, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
-Leave the Wrapping to the Elves: Tuesday, Dec. 18 through Thursday, Dec. 20 during lunchtime for Ashley's guests
-Sundays with Santa: Sunday, Dec. 9, 12:30-2:30 p.m.; Sunday Dec. 16, 12:30-2:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 23, 11:30 a.m. -2:30 p.m.
-Christmas Eve Dinner in Ashley's: Saturday, Dec. 24