LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Many Arkansans are experiencing a dark, cold day-after-Christmas due to their electricity being out after a snowy Christmas Day.

Here are some tips from theRed Cross if you're enduring a power outage:

• Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. First use perishable food from the refrigerator. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours.

• Then use food from the freezer. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed.

• Use your non-perishable foods and staples after using food from the refrigerator and freezer.

• If it looks like the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items.

• Keep food in a dry, cool spot and keep it covered at all times.

• Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including sensitive electronics.

• Turn off or disconnect any appliances (like stoves), equipment or electronics you were using when the power went out. When power comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment.

• Leave one light turned on so you'll know when the power comes back on.

• Eliminate unnecessary travel, especially by car. Traffic lights will be out and roads will be congested.

• Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

• The primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire.

• Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.

• If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Call for help from the fresh air location and remain there until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.

To view Entergy's Outage map, click here:

To view First Electric Co-op Outage map, click here:

Read or Share this story: