LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -For thousands ofArkansans,this is day four ofbeing without electricity following Tuesday's snow storm.Crews are working around the clock to restore power,but it could be several more days for some before the lights are back on.
For those currently in the dark,we found a list of things that will help you stay warm until power is restored to your house.
1.Pick a warm room. Choose asmall, well-insulated room with few windows as your emergency living quarters. Block the room off and put cardboard and blankets over the windows at night to minimize heat loss.
2. Wrap up in warm clothing. Put on several thin layers instead of one or two big bulky garments. Thermal underwear is good. Don't forget to wear a hat. As much as 80% of a person's body heat can be lost without one.
3. Stay close. When it is extremely cold, the whole family (pets, too) should group in one room where all drafts have been sealed to benefit from the combined body heat.
4. Eat something. The body burns food to produce calories, which keeps you warm. Open those cans of food that need no cooking and make sure everyone eats something. If frozen food starts to thaw in very cold weather put it outside in a shaded spot away from animals.
5. Utilize extra clothing. Layer blankets or quilts over you. Wear plenty of clothes plus a hat. Remember that the human body gives off heat. Sleep with two or three people together under the blankets or in zipped-together sleeping bags.
6. Use sunlight. In the daytime, use the warming rays of the sun to keep you comfortable. Open the draperies to get the warmth into your home. Sit out in the sun in a spot away from any wind. You'll be surprised how quickly you heat up.
7. Keep busy. You won't notice the lack of power as much if you canfind a way to keep everyone entertained. While your favorite electronic gadgetsmay not be working,check out this listof 101 things to do that doesn't require technology.
And don't forget thata variety of warming shelters have opened in Central Arkansas to help people who are without power. You can find the complete list here.