CONWAY, Ark. (KTHV) - Just before 4:30 p.m. Friday, a jury found Richard Conte guilty on two counts of capital murder.
Contewas on trial for killing Carter Elliott and Timmy Wayne Robertson on the night of May 18, 2002.
All week they had been waiting, the families of Elliott and Robertson, and Friday it was time for the jury to make a decision.
"It's hard sitting in there. It's been a long time coming. We want the jury to come back with the right verdict. They gave it to the jury so we're just going to wait on them and maybe both families will have some closure," said Jayson Robertson, the brother of Timmy Wayne.
After only 35 minutes of deliberation, all twelve jurors had agreed. Richard Conte was guilty of two counts of capital murder.It was a verdict Elliott's son Trey had been waiting for.
"I'm so thankful this has been almost 11 years this may that my father was murdered and Timmy Wayne and today I can go home with a smile on my face knowing that the man who committed these murders will never get out of jail," said Elliott.
The Faulkner County Prosecutor in 2002 reportedly did not think he had enough evidense to charge Conte but in 2011, Prosecutor Cody Hiland took up the case. Much of the evidence had already been destroyed and no physical evidence tying Conte to the crime scene was found.
MORE DETAILS: Conte Trial Day 3: Former cell mates of Conte's testifies
MORE DETAILS: Conte Trial Day 2: Witness discusses Conte's fantasy military story
MORE DETAILS: Conte Trial Day 1: Timeline of events presented in the case
Background Stories on This Case: