LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Working to keep you healthy this morning, here are five ways for you and your family to avoid the stomach flu from Shine by Yahoo!.
1. Wash your hands often. This seems obvious, but poor hand washing can result in the virus being spread when you shake hands, touch a counter, or prepare food. Ideally, you want to use soap and water and rub your hands together with soap for at least 20 seconds.
2. Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly. After you've washed your hands, wash fruits and vegetables well so you don't pass on a virus from possible contaminated food.
3. Be careful changing diapers. If a baby is sick, make sure and clean the area thoroughly after changing diapers and wash your hands with soap and water instead of using anti-bacterial hand gel. Washing hands is the best way to avoid passing the virus.
4. Clean surfaces well. Be sure to use bleach to kill the virus. Norovirus is hearty and can live on a surfaces for more than week.
5. Keep a sick child home. If a child has a vomiting illness or diarrhea, keep them out of daycare or school for 24 hours after the symptoms are gone. If the child is in diapers, it's two days.