LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- There are a few Southern food staples that you can always expect on the dinner table. Today we talked about cornbread and greens.
Anthony Michael with the Cross-Eyed Pig shared his tips and recipe for cornbread and greens.
Anthony Michael Greens
4 lbs mixed greens (1 large brown bag/sack)
1 smoked ham bone or turkey wing
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stick butter
2 tbs Louisiana hot sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 potatoes (optional)
1. Sautee the onion, jalapeno, butter, and garlic in a separate pan.
2. Soak and/or clean greens and remove stems according to preference. Discard water.
3. Put greens into 8 quart pot with three cups water and bring to a boil. Once boiled remove and discard water.
4. Add smoked ham bone and all sautéed ingredients with greens with enough water to cover almost cover greens. Add cubed/quartered potatoes here if you desire.
5. Bring to boil and cook at simmer for at least an hour.
Serve when desired tenderness is reached.