LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - This time of year, many of us gather around the dinner table to share a meal as a family. But many of you may be watching your waistlines but still want to enjoy good food.
Maria's Farm Country Kitchen and nutritionist and author Lisa Drayer, RD have come up with six holiday foods that can help fight fat.
1. Nuts - A Purdue University study found that people who added 500 calories of nuts to their diet for three weeks had no change in body weight, but had a 24 percent drop in blood fats associated with heart disease called triglycerides.
2. Cranberry relish - Fiber is great in a diet geared for weight loss as it keeps you satisfied. Cranberries have four grams of fiber per cup and only 50 calories per cup serving. Just watch out for sugar content.
3. Turkey - Turkey has the fewest calories per ounce than any other animal protein. Turkey contains the amino acid leucine which helps preserve muscle mass during weight loss. This helps keep your metabolism going.
4. Deviled eggs - Eggs are a great diet food. They have more satiating protein per calorie than any other food. They also contain choline and vitamin D.
5. Dark chocolate - Yes, chocolate! Studies have found that those who eat dark chocolate eat 15 percent fewer calories at their next meal and less likely to choose fatty, salty, sugary snacks. Chocolate also boosts serotonin and endorphin levels.
6. Apples - Those who eat apples regularly are less likely to develop metabolic syndrome and other obesity-related illnesses. Also, studies have found that those who eat an apple 15 minutes before a meal eat almost 200 fewer calories at the meal.
(Source: Maria's Farm Country Kitchen)