LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Although summer is coming to a close, the hot temperatures aren't going anywhere.
In order to stay safe this summer, THV 11 has put together tips and links to help you beat the heat.
There are ways to beat the heat before you step outside:
- Make sure you have a family plan in action.
- Check your air conditioning units to see if they are working properly
- Keep up to date with weather updates
- Get trained in first aid to learn how to treat heat-related emergencies
When the heat hits, here's what to remember:
- Stay indoors as much as possible
- Limit any work outdoors
- Eat well and stay hydrated all day long
- Wear loose-fitting and light-colored clothing
- Protect your skin with hats and sunscreen
- Check on family, friends, elderly neighbors and children
- Make sure your pets have adequate shade and water while outside
- Never leave a child or a pet in a parked car
Also, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a lot of great information online about extreme heat and your health:
Here is a message from Dr. Robin Ikeda, Acting Director of CDC's National Center for Environmental Health, on how you can prevent heat-related illnesses and deaths by staying cool, hydrated and informed.