LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - This hot weather means days at the pool, family picnics and baseball.
As part of our "In the Red" campaign promoting heart health, here are some tips from the American Heart Association on keeping your family active this summer:
1. Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. For low-calorie flavor, add slices of your favorite fruits such as melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for two hours.
2. Protect your family from the sun: wear wide-brimmed hats, always apply water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
3. Heat safety: avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest.
4. Dress for the heat: wear lightweight, light colored clothing, choose light, breathable fabrics such as cotton, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
5. Head indoors: when the heat gets unbearable, try indoor activities at your local YMCA or rec center like basketball, swimming, yoga or racquetball.
For more information, click here.