LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- If you've ever wondered why your dog acts the way they do, we're helping you this morning. Here are five things you probably didn't know about dogs.
Check out the full list from Reader's Digest: 13 Dog Facts You Didn't Know
1. The 'smell' center of their brain is huge - The "smell" center of a dog's brain is 40 times larger than yours. Dogs can smell thousands of times better than humans. Their noses have millions more scent receptors. This makes them useful in sniffing out drugs, dead bodies, bed bugs and explosives.
2. Dogs Dream like People - If you've ever noticed your pooch twitching in her sleep, this probably means she's dreaming. Researchers found that dogs have similar sleep patterns and brain activity as humans, and that small breeds tend to dream more than large ones. "Psychology Today" suggests they're probably imagining familiar activities like playing outside or chasing their tail.
3. They're as smart as a toddler - According research, your toddler and pup are about on par when it comes to brains. And get this - man's best friend can count, understand more than 150 words, and even trick people or other dogs to get treats.
4. Their feet might smell like corn - Some pet owners might notice the faint scent of corn chips or popcorn lingering around their dog. This is called "Frito feet," and it happens when sweat and bacteria builds up in the paws.
5. 'Dog Breath' is actually unhealthy - You might expect your dog's mouth to smell like, well, dog. But persistent bad breath can actually be a sign of dental disease or other health problems. If you don't already, have your dog's teeth examined by a veterinarian every year.