BENTON, Ark. (CADC) - Local residents can receive valuable help at tax time from Central Arkansas Development Council, which is offering free tax preparation assistance at 17 locations in central and south Arkansas.
This year many workers will qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC) for the first time because their income declined or they became unemployed; tax refunds through the EIC and Child Tax Credit can help low- and moderate-income families cover day-to-day expenses such as utilities, rent, and child care. Families with three or more children also get an extra boost with a larger EIC this year. The IRS estimates, however, that one-fourth of eligible people could miss out on the EIC because they don't know about it, don't know that they qualify, or don't know where to find free tax filing assistance.
At CADC tax sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers work one-on-one with families and individuals to help file their tax returns and ensure that they receive the tax credits for which they qualify. Sites also provide information on financial education classes and saving with US Savings Bonds. Customers can split refunds into multiple accounts, or if they don't hold a bank account, can receive their refund on a debit card. Customers generally receive federal refunds 7-10 days.
Site locations (most are by appointment):
- Huie Library, HSU, 1100 Henderson Street in Arkadelphia. Call 870-867-0151
- Bancorp South, 300 North Jackson in Magnolia. Call 870-901-2215
- Dallas County Library, 510 East 4th Street in Fordyce. Call 870-867-0151
- Hot Spring County Library, 202 East Third Street in Malvern. Call 501-332-5441
- CADC Mt. Ida Senior Activity Center, 158 Senior Drive in Mt. Ida. Call 870-867-0151
- Camden Workforce Center, 237 Jackson Street in Camden. Call 870-867-0151
- Glenwood Senior Center, 229 Betty Street in Glenwood. Call 870-867-0151
- City of Jacksonville, 109 South 2nd Street. Call 501-982-0026
- Arkansas Workforce Center of Little Rock, 5401 S. University. Call 501-320-1908
- Esther D. Nixon Library, 703 West Main Street in Jacksonville. Walk ins welcome April 5th, 9:30 am – 2 pm
- Dee Brown Library, 6325 Baseline Road in Little Rock. Walk-ins welcome April 5th, 10 am – 2 pm
- Promiseland Ministries, 4520 S. University. Walk-ins welcome April 5th and 12th, 10 am – 2 pm
- North Little Rock Community Center, 2700 Willow Street. Walk-ins Welcome Tuesdays 9 am – 1 pm
- World Services for the Blind, 2811 Fair Park Blvd in Little Rock. Call 501-326-6203
- Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library, 1800 Smithers Drive in Benton. Call 501-326-6203
- Benton Senior Activity Center, 210 Jefferson Drive in Benton. Walk-ins welcome Monday and Tuesdays, 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
- El Dorado Connections/RSVP, 826 Camp Street in El Dorado. Call 870-639-3782
CADC also offers free online tax filing for persons whose income is $58,000 or less at http://myfreetaxes.com/cadc.
Persons utilizing the sites should bring their family's Social Security Cards, picture ID, W-2/1099s, a copy of last year's return, bank account information for direct deposit or splitting a refund to several accounts, and any other pertinent information.
CADC is a private nonprofit community action agency that was formed in 1965 to fight and win the "War on Poverty." The mission of CADC is to improve the quality of life and build strong communities in Arkansas. For more information, please contact CADC at 501-778-1133.