GRAVEL RIDGE, Ark. (KTHV) - Residents in Gravel Ridge are being evacuated following a natural gas leak that started after a tornado ripped through central Arkansas.
Sherwood Fire Department Chief Phil Flynn said a large diameter gas leak happened after a pop-off valve activated and is releasing natural gas into the area. Flynn said the valve acted properly, as it is designed to release gas to prevent too much pressure from building up inside.
Flynn said he didn't know how many residents had been evacuated, as they were still being evacuated at 9:00 p.m. The evacuation is a precaution in case the gas were to ignite.
Representatives from Centerpoint Energy are on scene working to remedy the situation.