69 8 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Sheri Eason is a mother of two toddler boys. Like most concerned parents, she has tried just about everything to baby proof her apartment. She said she wants to make sure history doesn't repeat itself.

Sheri has been married for five years. Her husband, Ryan Eason, ingested the kitchen counter cleaner 409 when he was two years old.

"Somehow I unscrewed a cap of 409, poured it on me and we believe I drank a little bit of it." He had to be taken to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. After personally understanding how easily toddlers can get into situations like this, she said she takes extra precautions to protect her sons.

"I make sure to put all of the supplies we use on the highest shelf. That way I know that even with a chair, James or Joshua wouldn't be able to get a hold of them."

The Arkansas Poison Control Center documented 27 incidents last year that involved toddlers and accidental chemical poisoning. They said out of those, 65 percent of the incidents happened during the summer.

Doctors from Children's Hospital say they have also seen similar patterns. One of the reasons why numbers spike is because children are out of school and are more likely to visit family and friends who don't take necessary safety precautions.

"Sometimes they're visiting grandparents, aunts and uncles," said Donna Parnell-Beasly from Children's Hospital's Trauma Care. "Sometimes these grandparents, aunts and uncles, and other friends are not use to having a child around the house so it's easy to forget to put up chemicals that are dangerous for children."

Recently, manufacturers have made cleaners and detergents smell citrusy or fruity. This can confuse a toddler, making them think it's some sort of candy. Doctors encourage all families to keep cleaners in hard to reach places to prevent dangerous situations from happening.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
69 8 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.kthv.com/1lVu2fY