LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- On this Medical Monday, skip the dandruff shampoo and try these homemade dandruff treatments to banish those pesky white flakes. Here are five natural ways to get rid of dandruff.
Check out more on this list from Reader's Digest: How to Get Rid of Dandruff: 11 Natural Treatments
1. Aspirin - It contains the same active ingredient as many medicated dandruff shampoos. Keep flaking in check by crushing two aspirins to a fine powder and adding it to the normal amount of shampoo you use each time you wash your hair. Leave the mixture on your hair for 1 to 2 minutes, then rinse well and wash again with plain shampoo.
2. Tea Tree Oil - One study showed that shampoos with just five percent tea tree oil significantly improves the severity of dandruff. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo as you wash normally.
3. Baking Soda - Wet your hair and then rub a handful of baking soda vigorously into your scalp. Skip the shampoo and go right to rinsing. Your hair may get dried out at first, but after a few weeks your scalp will start producing natural oils, leaving your hair softer and free of flakes.
4. Mouthwash - Wash your hair with your regular shampoo, then rinse with an alcohol-based mouthwash. Follow with your regular conditioner. Mouthwash's anti-fungal properties help prevent dandruff-causing yeast from growing.
5. Lemon - Just massage two tablespoons of lemon juice into your scalp and rinse with water. Then stir one teaspoon lemon juice into one cup water and rinse your hair with it. Repeat this daily until your dandruff disappears. Lemon's acidity helps balance the pH of your scalp, which helps keeps dandruff at bay.