LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Certain scents can trigger a chemical reaction in the brain that aids relaxation. Here are six scents that make you relax when you're stressed from Good Housekeeping.
1. Vanilla - Vanilla not only makes people feel instantly at ease, but it's also soothing and can make you fall asleep faster. Baby bottle nipples are often infused with a vanilla scent, which can make the scent soothing into adulthood.
2. Baby powder - Baby powder makes you feel calm because it can induce the primal nostalgic feeling of childhood, where you felt safe and secure.
3. The Scent of a Loved One - Getting a whiff of your husband or even BFF can trigger an in-love feeling that our brains find soothing because of its familiarity. This response can also happen in certain places like your old bedroom at your parents' house.
4. Lavender - A study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience revealed that lavender oil has been found to affect the brain in such a way that it increases drowsiness.
5. Sunscreen or Suntan Lotion - Scents you associate with travel, like the smell of sunscreen - can often trigger a relaxed state, since they remind you of vacation, where you were less stressed.
6. Cucumber - This aroma is said to reduce anxiety and induce relaxation because the scent takes you back to your childhood - when picnics and get-togethers were more common.