LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- September is Hunger Action Month (HAM) and the Arkansas Foodbank is inviting everyone to learn about the plight of hunger in Arkansas. The Foodbank serves more than 270,000 Arkansans each year who struggle with food insecurity. During the month of September, we invite you to LIKE, LEARN, VISIT, DONATE, and take action against hunger in our state. Join the Foodbank in September and help us continue to create communities where no one has to go hungry.
Below are just a few highlights:
Hunger Action Day: Turn ORANGE for hunger relief! Wear orange and enjoy signature "orange" drinks at participating local restaurants while hanging out with friends. Make sure to "like" and follow the Arkansas Foodbank on social media. .
on our website for the participating restaurants and
for the recipes and photos of the drinks.
September 13th: Drive Away Hunger: Enjoy great Southern-style cuisine, local beer, and live entertainment at this casual, family event held at the Arkansas Foodbank. Tickets cost $25 for adults (includes dinner and two drink tickets), and $15 for children (under 10). Tickets available online.
CAR RAFFLE: Everett Buick GMC in Bryant and the Arkansas Foodbank want you to Drive Away Hunger this year in a brand new 2014 Buick Encore! The Foodbank will be selling the raffle tickets for $100 each with all of the proceeds going toward fighting hunger in Arkansas. Ten finalists will be selected on September 2. One more finalist will be selected at the Drive Away Hunger Event (September 13th) and one lucky winner from the 11 finalists will be given the key to a brand new Buick Encore. Call 501-565-8121 for tickets.
Other Events in September:
- September 10th-30th: Edwards Food Giant and Edwards Cash Saver. Support the Arkansas Foodbank at Edwards Food Giant stores by donating at the register. Simply swipe a donation card when you checkout and one dollar will be given to the Foodbank. Visit website for locations.
- All September: Arvest Bank One Million Meals Campaign. Donate food or money at any Arvest Bank branch in Pulaski County during the entire month of September. All food and funds will be donated to the Foodbank. See website for details.
- September 6th: Help Out at a Pantry. Volunteering at a food pantry is a great way to help fight hunger in our state, as well as allowing you to see the faces of hunger in Arkansas. Visit our website and "Locate a Partner Agency" in your zip code and offer to volunteer. Directly assisting those who suffer from hunger is an important way to fight hunger in our community.
- September 9th: Lunch at the Foodbank. Come see us at the Arkansas Foodbank headquarters at 4301 W. 65th St. from 11:30am-1:30pm and enjoy lunch with us! Food will be provided by Bryant's BBQ, The Southern Gourmasian, and Southern Salt Food Company. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Foodbank.
- September 15th: Hunger Study. Learn about hunger in Arkansas and see why Arkansas unfortunately leads the country in food insecurity. The study was coordinated by Feeding America and surveyed more than 60,000 clients across the nation. See our website for the findings.
WHAT IS HUNGER ACTION MONTH?
September is Hunger Action Month, when the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks unite to urge individuals to take action in their communities.
The goal of Hunger Action Month is to mobilize the public to act on behalf of Feeding America and our food bank network. It is our opportunity to create a movement throughout September that has a real and lasting impact on our mission to help end hunger in America.
This September, join Feeding America and Together, We Can Solve Hunger. As individuals, charities, businesses and government, we all have a role to play in getting food to those in need.
HUNGER IN ARKANSAS
Arkansas is consistently among the states with the highest rate of food insecurity in the U.S. with one in five people classified as food insecure and one in four children among the hungry. 580,000 Arkansans don't know where their next meal is coming from.