NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (Univ. of Ark.) – The Arkansas baseball team (16-8) won its fifth straight game and earned its third shutout in the last four games with a 3-0 victory over Mississippi Valley State (1-23) on Wednesday evening at Dickey-Stephens Park.
Freshman Alex Phillips picked up his second win of the season with a career-long 6.0 innings pitched. Phillips registered a career-high seven strikeouts while scattering three hits and keeping the Delta Devils scoreless. Juniors Jackson Lowery and Michael Gunn finished off the shutout with Lowery throwing 2.0 innings with three strikeouts and Gunn picking up the save with a perfect ninth that included two strikeouts.
Bobby Wernes was 2-for-3 at the plate with one run scored, and Andrew Benintendi also added two hits in three at-bats. Both Razorbacks reached base three times with Wernes adding a walk and Benintendi being hit by a pitch. Brian Anderson recorded an RBI with a sacrifice fly in the seventh inning that capped the scoring.
Arkansas returns to SEC play this weekend, traveling to Starkville, Miss., to take on Mississippi State. The Razorbacks and Bulldogs are set to play at 6:30 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 p.m. Sunday.
· The 3-0 shutout marked the team's third shutout in the last four games, as the Razorbacks have only given up two runs over the last 40.1 innings dating back to the third inning of game two in the Alabama series.
· Arkansas moved to 15-0 on the year when scoring first and remains a perfect 5-0 against Mississippi Valley State in the all-time series.
· Andrew Benintendi was hit by a pitch in the 5th inning to bring the Razorbacks' season total to 50. Arkansas has been hit by a pitch in 10 straight games, in 21 of 24 games and hit by multiple pitches in a contest 14 times this season.
· Alex Phillips' 6.0 innings of work marked a season-high as the sophomore won his second-straight outing and his seven strikeouts set a career-high.
How They Scored
· Arkansas 1, Mississippi Valley State 0; Bottom 3rd: Joe Serrano stole home.
· Arkansas 2, Mississippi Valley State 0; Bottom 7th: Bobby Wernes scored from third on an error.
· Arkansas 3, Mississippi Valley State 0; Bottom 7th: Brian Anderson hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score Michael Bernal from third base.