FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (Univ. of Ark.) - The Arkansas baseball hits the road for a three-game Southeastern Conference series over the weekend, traveling to LSU to take on the Tigers at Alex Box Stadium.
LSU leads the all-time series with Arkansas 57-28, including winning three of the five meetings a year ago. The Razorbacks are 10-29 all-time in Baton Rouge, last winning a series in Louisiana in 2004 with a three-game sweep of the Tigers. Arkansas 1-5 all-time in the new Alex Box Stadium since the facility opened in 2009.
A MEMORABLE MONTH
Arkansas is 539-361 all-time during the month of April and the Razorbacks have never had a losing record in April since Van Horn took over the program in 2003.
IN GOOD CO-MPANY
After leading the Razorbacks to back-to-back wins against top-ranked South Carolina, juniors Jalen Beeks and Chris Oliver were named Co-SEC Pitchers of the week on April 7. The duo dominated on the mound, combining to throw 17.0 innings without an earned run and adding 19 strikeouts.
LEGENDARY PITCHING STAFF
The Arkansas pitching staff is putting together one of the most dominant seasons in program history in 2014, amassing a 2.30 earned run average through the first 34 games. The seven shutouts already rank in the top 10 for a single season, with the record being set with 13 shutouts in 51 games during the 1977 season. The 2.30 ERA currently ranks second in program history, sitting only behind a 1.89 ERA in 61 games last season.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• Arkansas is in the midst of playing 14 ranked squads in a 17-game span, including eight in a row with No. 1 South Carolina, No. 17 UNLV and now No. 8 LSU.
• After defeating top-ranked South Carolina in back-to-back games last weekend, the Razorbacks have knocked off the No. 1 team in the country seven times under Coach Van Horn.
• The Razorbacks have allowed two runs or less in 20 of their 34 games this season, including four of the last five.
• Brian Anderson extended his hitting streak to a 10 games in midweek action against UNLV. He is hitting .351 over the last 10 games with a .432 on base percentage.
• Arkansas' weekend pitching rotation has been dominant all season, combining for a 1.83 earned run average in 137.0 innings with 97 strikeouts and four complete games.
• Joe Serrano has three straight games with multiple hits and paces the team with 12 multi-hit games on the year.