The historic flooding of the Arkansas River left behind all sorts of problems for people along the water, including issues with allergies.

Dr. Eddie Shields is an allergist at the Arkansas Allergy and Asthma Clinic. He said the mold count is almost always extremely high this time of year.

"Mold is a year-round allergen in Arkansas but it does peak during the warmer months,” he said.

RELATED: Weeks after evacuating homes, residents begin assessing damage caused by flood

But Dr. Shields said the recent flooding in Arkansas could make the problem worse. Mold spreads quickly and drives up the spore count, making the air in the areas affected by flooding unhealthy.

"I don't think it's going to be a widespread problem but definitely people that have flooding in their house could play a factor,” Dr. Shields said.

Dr. Shields said to protect yourself if you are cleaning up your home after the flood.

"Wear a mask to protect your nose and inhaling mold spores. Eye protection as well,” he said.

Greg Miros owns Enviro Products International. He is busy treating homes along the river in the Little Rock area for mold.

'Wear a mask and take all the walls down all to where the water lines are at least. I would go up another foot higher because water will make its way,” Miros said.

Miros recommends staying away from Clorox. Instead, his company uses a mold inhibitor to kill off the mold safely.

RELATED: As flood waters recede, many wonder what to do in order to rebuild their homes

"It can be used around your animals, children. A lot of other types of products are Clorox types products which are very dangerous to work with,” Miros said.

Dr. Shields said if you do have issues, to get check with your doctor for treatment.

"If you are moving back into a home and then you start having a lot of sneezing and itchy eyes then you may very well be sensitive to mold and we can do some allergy testing,” he said.

Miros said to remove moisture from your home using fans and dehumidifiers. 

To contact Miros to safely get rid of mold in your home, call 501-258-6174.