SARASOTA, Fla. — Sarasota police officers say they will attend the funeral service for a veteran with "no immediate family."
"All are welcome to attend," read Edward K. Pearson's obituary on Legacy Options Funeral & Cremation Services' website. The 80-year-old Naples man died on Aug. 31.
Social media users have been spreading the word about his internment on Tuesday, encouraging their friends and family to attend in support of Pearson.
10News is recommending mourners arrive early. There is a slight discrepancy with regard to the service's start time. The obituary lists the time as both noon and 12:30 p.m. By phone, the funeral home told us the time is 12:30 p.m. However, it would still be good to arrive with plenty of time.
Pearson will be buried with military honors at the Sarasota National Cemetery, which is located at 9810 State Road 72 in Sarasota, Fla.
Our new partners at WWSB say due to space restrictions, the cemetery has asked people not to bring flowers.
What other people are reading right now:
- These new Florida laws go into effect Oct. 1
- 'It's like a bad, bad, bad dream' | Family heartbroken over death of 11-year-old who collapsed at football event
- Florida funeral home invites public to attend services of veteran with no family
- Parents ask for change after bullying video goes viral
- Surprise September snowstorm creates unforgettable wintry wedding photos
FREE 10NEWS APP: