RICHMOND, Va. — A bill that would prohibit anyone from purchasing more than one handgun a month has passed through the Virginia Senate.
Senate lawmakers passed House Bill 812 with a vote of 21-19. The measure prohibits anyone who isn't a licensed firearms dealer from purchasing more than one handgun in a 30-day period.
Any offenders would face a Class 1 misdemeanor charge.
The legislation has certain exemptions like:
- Law enforcement
- State and local correctional facilities
- Licensed private security companies
- Anyone who lost their handgun or was a victim of theft
- Anyone purchasing antique firearms
- Anyone who has a certificate by State Police under the condition of an enhanced background check