FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas returns to Bud Walton Arena, playing five of its last seven on the road, to host Vanderbilt Wednesday (Jan. 15). Tip-off is set for 7:30 pm and the game will be telecast on the SEC Network.
Including Vanderbilt, Arkansas will play five of its next seven contests at home, including a pair of back-to-back homestands – Vanderbilt and Kentucky this week followed by TCU (Jan. 25) and South Carolina (Jan. 29).
The game features two of the longest streaks for making 3-pointers in the NCAA. Vanderbilt has made a triple in 1,078 consecutive games – the second-longest active streak in the NCAA – and is one of three schools to make at least one 3-pointer in every game since the NCAA added the line uniformly in 1986-87. Arkansas has made a trey in 1,026 consecutive games, which ties Western Kentucky for the fourth-longest active streak in the NCAA.
• This will be the 39th meeting between Arkansas and Vanderbilt — all but two have come since Arkansas joined the SEC. The Razorbacks own a 26-12 advantage in the series and are 15-3 versus the Commodores in Fayetteville.
• Arkansas has won four straight and eight of the last nine. In a scheduling quirk, five of seven games in the span were played in Bud Walton Arena from 2015-2019.
No Help for Opponents - Hogs Winning Turnover Battle
• In SEC play, Arkansas opponents have been held to single-digit assists in each game. • Texas A&M 8 - LSU 8 - Ole Miss 6.
• In SEC play, Arkansas has forced 46 turnovers (15.3) while committing just 26 (8.7) for a league-best +6.47 turnover margin.
#24 in NCAA NET, #9 in RPI
• Arkansas’ NCAA NET jumped four spots to 24th after a 76-72 win at Ole Miss.
^ Arkansas’ NET is 2nd-best among SEC schools behind Auburn (6). Others of note: Kentucky (26), LSU (28), Florida (53), Georgia (54) and Missouri (57).
^ Arkansas’ NET of 24 is better than five teams ranked in the in the AP top 25.
• Arkansas has an RPI of 9.
^ Arkansas’ RPI of 9 is better than 17 teams ranked in the in the AP top 25.
Mason Jones is THE TEAM LEADER
• Mason Jones leads the Razorbacks in: Scoring (19.4) • Rebounding (6.1) • Assists (46) • Steals (28)
• Jones is THE ONLY PLAYER IN THE SEC to rank among the top 20 in scoring (2nd) and Rebounding (16th) and also rank among the top 11 in steals (4th), 3-pointers made (6th), defensive rebounds (7th) and FG% (11th).
• Six times this season, Jones has led the team in 3 of the 4 categories in the same game.
Putting Arkansas 3PT Defense ... or Joe’s Success ... in Perspective
• Arkansas leads the NCAA in 3-point field goal defense as opponents have shot below 29% from long range 13 times. Overall, opponents are a combined 59-of-261 from long range.
• Arkansas opponents have made 59 3-pointers in 261 attempts.
• Sophomore Isaiah Joe has made 59 3-pointers in 165 attempts.
Best Scoring Duos in NCAA - ARKANSAS HAS BEST TRIO IN SEC
• Arkansas and UT Martin are the only teams in the NCAA feature two players in the nation’s top 90 for scoring:
^ ARKANSAS: #39 Mason Jones (19.2 ppg) • #67 Isaiah Joe (18.2 ppg)
^ UT MARTIN: #30 Parker Stewart (19.7) • #63 Quintin Dove (18.3)
^ Overall, the combined 37.6 points per game average for Jones and Joe is sixth-highest in the NCAA.
• Arkansas is the only team in the SEC to feature:
^ Two players in the league’s top 5 for scoring — Mason Jones (2nd / 19.4) • Isaiah Joe (4th / 18.2)
^ Three players in the league’s top 20 for scoring — Jimmy Whitt Jr. (15th / 13.8)
Isaiah Joe on Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Watch List
• Arkansas sophomore Isaiah Joe was named to the 2020 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today.
• FANS CAN VOTE FOR THEIR FAVORITE PLAYER AT: http://www.hoophallawards.com/men/vote.php
For more information on Arkansas Men’s Basketball, follow @RazorbackMBB on Twitter.