NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — The Arkansas Travelers pitching staff authored their seventh shutout of the season on Independence Day, blanking the Springfield Cardinals, 2-0. Justus Sheffield fired seven shutout innings allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out five in a dominant performance. Jake Haberer worked a perfect eighth inning before Art Warren closed it out with a scoreless around a pair of walks. Both Haberer and Warren struck out two Cardinals.
Moments That Mattered
* Donnie Walton reached on a two-base error to open the game. With two out he came home on Kyle Lewis' hit to left field.
* Luis Liberato blasted a triple to right-center with one out in the second and then scored on the very next pitch as Mike Ahmed lifted a sacrifice fly to left.
Notable Travs Performances
* 3B Mike Ahmed: 2-2, SF, 2B, RBI
* LHP Justus Sheffield: Win, 7 IP, 2 H, BB, 5 K
* RHP Jake Haberer: IP, 2 K
* RHP Art Warren: Sv, IP, 2 BB, 2 K
News and Notes
* Evan White was held without a hit for only the second time in the last 29 games.
* It was the Travs seventh shutout of the season, sixth at home and first since June 8.
The series continues Friday night with right-hander Nabil Crismatt (2-5, 2.36) on the hill against righty Angel Rondon (3-0, 3.18). First pitch is at 7:10 and there are postgame fireworks. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.