SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Donnie Walton had three hits including a tiebreaking two-run home run in the seventh inning as the Arkansas Travelers defeated the Springfield Cardinals, 5-1 on Saturday night. Walton's homer and all three of his hits came against the Cardinals' left-handed starter Evan Kruczynski. Ricardo Sanchez pitched seven innings of one-run ball, striking out nine and walking none to earn the win. It was the sixth win of the season for Sanchez and his first since June 8.
Moments That Mattered
* Springfield scored in the second but the Travs responded with a run in the third. Aaron Knapp worked a one out walk and moved to third on a base hit by Walton. Evan White then hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score Knapp and tie the game.
* Walton's go-ahead homer came with two out in the seventh. Logan Taylor had walked to start the inning and stole second base with two out just preceding the home run.
* Brennon Kaleiwahea provided extra cushion with a two-run homer in the top of the ninth.
Notable Travs Performances
* SS Donnie Walton: 3-5, run, HR, 2 RBI
* LHP Ricardo Sanchez: Win, 7 IP, 5 H, R, 9 K, HR, 88 pitches
News and Notes
* Walton recorded his team leading 27th multi-hit game of the season and 10th three-hit contest. It was his seventh game with three or more hits in the last month.
* Kaleiwahea was making his Travs and Double-A debut and was playing for only the fourth time this season at any level. He had been 0-13 overall before the homer.
The Travs look for an even split of the four game series on Sunday night. Left-hander Justus Sheffield (2-1, 1.36) makes the start against righty Alex FaGalde (2-1, 1.11). First pitch is at 6:10 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.